ADDRESS: Sir Walter Scott Drive, Inverness
A New Mixed-Use Development For Inverness
We are proposing to submit a planning application for a new mixed-use development on Sir Walter Scott Drive, Inverness and we are seeking views from the local community.
This webpage provides details of the scheme and how you can share your thoughts.
Our proposal comprises a mixed-use development featuring a Lidl foodstore and affordable housing on Sir Walter Scott Drive. The proposed Lidl store would provide a bright and spacious store with ample parking and sympathetic landscaping. The affordable housing development could provide up to 39 dwellings.
The proposal is for a 1,915 sq m store with 103 car parking spaces including dedicated blue badge bays, parent and child bays and electric vehicle charging points.
The layout of the site and the location of the foodstore and housing has been carefully considered to minimise any impact on site neighbours and the surrounding area. As much of the existing landscaping will be retained and we have maintained a substantial buffer between the development and our site neighbours, the Police Scotland HQ to the north and the houses to the west.
The site has historically been used for agriculture; however, the site is currently allocated for business purposes within the Council’s Local Development Plan and, through its latest “Main Issues Report”, the Highland Council is currently considering the development of this site, together with the land to the south, for housing and greenspace.
A range of uses operate around the immediate vicinity of the site – it is bounded to the north by Police Scotland and beyond that, Beechwood Business Park. Inshes Retail Park is located to the east of the site which is occupied by various retail premises. Drakies Park is located to the south of the site and residential properties are located to the west.
Benefits of the Proposed Development
The proposal will bring a number of benefits to the locality, including:
- Maximising the use of a sustainably located site;
- The provision of much needed new affordable housing; and
- The creation of jobs locally through the construction process and employment opportunities once the development has been completed.
Specifically, the new Lidl store will provide the following benefits to the local area:
- A brand new store that will provide a clean and fresh shopping experience to meet the needs of customers;
- A dedicated in-store bakery;
- A sustainable store with roof mounted solar panels providing up to 25% of the store’s electricity supply;
- A contemporary building design that will complement the surrounding area;
- Employment opportunities for local residents; and
- Living Wage Foundation rate (£9.50) for all eligible employees and no zero hours contracts.
Have Your Say
We welcome your comments on the information contained on this website and we would be grateful if you could complete our online survey via this link: https://ntgt.de/ra/s.aspx?s=446672X94702803X48658 or scan the QR code below.
We will also be holding two virtual events using Microsoft Teams, these will be held on the following dates:
- • Wednesday 28 July 2021 – 4pm – 7pm. Please CLICK HERE to join on Microsoft Teams.
• Wednesday 18 August 2021 – 4pm – 7pm. Please CLICK HERE to join on Microsoft Teams.
Alternatively you can provide your comments using the following details:
Email: Inverness@rapleys.com Subject Title – “Proposed Lidl Foodstore and Residential Development – Inverness”
Telephone: 0161 8176225 (leave a message with your details and comments).
Address: Lidl Inverness, Rapleys LLP, 80 George St, Edinburgh EH2 3BU
We would ask that comments are sent back to us no later than the 01 September 2021. We will review all comments made and seek to take these on board as part of the submission of the planning application.