ADDRESS: Walsall Road, Walsall Wood
A new Lidl for Walsall Wood
Lidl would like to bring a new store to Walsall Wood. The site extends to approximately 0.8 hectares in area and is located to the north west of Walsall Road in Walsall Wood. The site comprises the Horse and Jockey pub and associated car park, in addition to a parcel of land to the rear.
A residential dwelling is located to the south of the site, and industrial and warehousing uses are located to the north. The Barons Court Hotel is located broadly opposite the site to the east.
The site is located approximately 330m from the Walsall Wood Local Centre boundary, which is located to the north-east.
The proposal is for the demolition of the existing building and the erection of a new discount foodstore (Use Class E) with access, car parking, landscaping and other associated works. The Lidl store will feature an attractive glazed and metal panel frontage.
The proposed foodstore has a Gross External Area of 2,382 sq.m, and a sales area of 1,414 sq.m. 115 car parking spaces are proposed, including 6 disabled, 8 parent & child and 2 electric vehicle charging (EVC) spaces.12 cycle spaces are also proposed.
The proposal also includes the provision of extensive biodiversity improvements on the land to the rear of the proposed foodstore.
It is proposed that the Lidl store will be open between the hours of:
- 8am to 10pm Monday to Saturday (including Bank
- 10am to 4pm Sundays.
The store would normally receive only 1 to 2 HGV deliveries per day (with a maximum 3 deliveries during peak bank holiday periods), which also take waste (80% of which is recycled) back to the regional distribution centre at Wednesbury, helping to reduce the number of traffic movements and reducing emissions as a consequence.
Benefits of the Proposed Development
- A store that will provide a new discount food shopping experience to meet the needs of customers and the expanding local community;
- A commitment to providing food from local and sustainable sources, with two in every three products within our permanent range coming from British suppliers;
- A dedicated in-store bakery offering freshly baked products throughout the day;
- A sustainable energy efficient store to include: roof mounted solar panels providing up to 25% of the stores electricity requirement; the use of highly efficient air source heat pumps to heat the store; and the provision of a Sustainable Drainage System to improve storm water management on site and reduce the risk of flooding;
- Up to 40 new high quality full time equivalent (FTE) jobs for local people, paying not less than the ‘Lidl Wage’ (£10.10 from March 2022 which is 60p per hour more than the National Living Wage for over 23s), and no zero hours contracts;
- Contemporary building design with glazed frontage;
- Enhanced landscaping throughout the site; and
- The provision of extensive biodiversity improvements on the land to the rear of the proposed foodstore.
Have Your Say
At Lidl, we know our success depends on the people we work with and the people who choose to shop with us. We recognise that providing high quality products at industry leading prices is only part of the story; the environment in which our customers do their shopping completes the experience. We would like to invite you to provide us with your thoughts on our proposal to open a new Lidl store in Walsall Wood.
Please register your feedback and provide any comments online using the QR code below:
Alternatively, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or provide your comments via telephone using this number: 0161 817 6225.
We would welcome your comments on our proposal by 21st March 2022, as all feedback will be taken into consideration.