Dilapidations resolution at Building 4 Chiswick Park, London, W4
Through a combination of legal acumen, professional assessments, and effective communication, Rapleys successfully negotiated a dilapidations settlement that safeguarded our client’s financial interests. The final agreement reflected a fair distribution of responsibilities, minimising the financial impact on the tenant while maintaining a positive landlord-tenant relationship.
- Ambiguous Lease Terms: The lease agreement lacked clarity regarding the extent of the tenant’s repairing obligations, leading to uncertainty on both parties’ sides.
- Contentious Dilapidations Schedule: The landlord presented a comprehensive dilapidations schedule, claiming extensive repairs, redecoration, and reinstatement works. The tenant contested several items, arguing that they were either pre-existing issues or not within their responsibility.
- Timing Pressures: The tenant faced tight timelines for vacating the premises and completing the dilapidations settlement, adding pressure to an already complex process.
- Thorough Lease Examination: Conducting a meticulous review of the lease agreement we clarified ambiguous terms and identified areas open to interpretation.
- Professional Survey and Assessment: We conducted a detailed property assessment, carefully scrutinising each item on the dilapidations schedule. This allowed us to differentiate between genuine tenant responsibilities and pre-existing conditions.
- Strategic Communication: Maintaining open, transparent communication channels with the landlord, we discussed concerns, clarified positions, and sought common ground.
- Negotiation: Leveraging negotiation skills, we engaged in constructive landlord discussions to reach a reasonable settlement that was 38% down from the original claim.
This case exemplifies the importance of proactive measures in addressing dilapidations disputes. By employing a comprehensive approach that includes legal analysis, professional assessments, and strategic negotiations, we successfully navigated the complexities of the dilapidations settlement process, securing a favourable outcome for our client.
Our track record
Stadium Holdings Ltd
1 Olympic Way, Wembley
Neighbourly Matters advice for a 7-storey extension to provide student accommodation
12,000 Stock Condition Surveys – Yorkshire Housing
Appointed by Yorkshire Housing via the Fusion21 Framework to complete 12,000 stock condition surveys over a 3-year period
Kruton No. 2
9-12 Middle Street, Brighton
Appointed as Employer’s Agent on new build commercial project.
Acquisition for Kwik Fit, Atex Business Park, Stowmarket
Instructed by Kwik Fit as national retained acquisition agents
Affordable housing provisions for a mixed-use scheme, Balham
Provided a detailed FVA, development advice and affordable housing strategy
Affordable Housing valuation for a mixed use scheme, Garratt Lane, Wandsworth
Development Consultancy advice to support a planning application for a mixed use scheme
London and Regional
Albert Island Redevelopment
Providing Cost Management & Quantity Surveying services on an exemplar industrial intensification project
Aldersbrook Baptist Church
Aldersbrook Baptist Church, Wanstead
Sale of church hall and provision of cost advice regarding development and refurbishment of church.
Ropemaker Properties Limited
Alfa Laval Tower, Brentford
Assessed the financial viability of the scheme for a planning appeal